Friday, July 20, 2007

Crisis Management for the Big Three

The NBA, NFL, and MLB have all had some problems lately. Since I am a bit appalled by all of this (but not surprised), and am fortunate enough to be a contributor on a blog that at least a few people read, I think it’s time to ramble. So let’s take a look at the Big Three sports and their problems.

National Basketball Association

The hottest topic as of today-- Tim Donaghy, referee, is accused of fixing and/or shaving points from games. Is anyone actually surprised? To a degree, yes, but as Buzzsaw mentioned in a comment, the NBA is pretty shady. It is a damn shame that this news came out, because it used to be fun to laugh at the thought of NBA games being fixed. But I’m sure that most of us didn’t actually think they would do it AND make it so blatantly obvious in the process (see the Heat’s NBA Finals win-- I know Donaghy wasn’t a ref in that series, but wow). The worst part about it is that everything involved in the NBA is going to become a big joke. Remember that youtube clip of the Ewing draft lottery? Most controversialists will probably start to really believe that it was fixed for the Knicks. Your team loses a tight game on a shady call? Blame that it’s fixed. I just hope that the same type of news doesn’t come out about poker websites. It would be the same exact kind of response; I jokingly say it’s fixed but I don’t actually believe it, but if it came out that it was fixed, I couldn’t possibly be surprised. So there you have it-- the NBA is the Pokerstars of sports. Good luck, Dave Stern.

(Hopefully you guys can see the most likely photoshopped "five Aces" picture. Remember, "When there's an A, there's a way")

National Football League

Pacman Jones, Chris Henry, Tank Johnson, and, oh, Michael Vick have a lot to do with this one. I like the stance that Roger Goodell is taking by not putting up with any shit. The timing is strange more than anything because all of this ridiculous news has been coming out about Vick and his dawgs (his entourage or his pets; you decide). As sad as it is, I feel like the NFL is the sport that is being least affected by its bad PR lately. And that isn’t because it’s not that bad (because it is), but because the other two have to do with cheating and actually affecting the outcomes of games. Anyway, I like what Goodell is doing and the only thing he can really do is stay strict. If there are bad seeds in the league, they will reveal themselves over time.

Major League Baseball

It’s funny that steroids are being focused mostly in baseball and that the players associated with it are completely turned on by the public. But then it shows up in the NFL, Shawne Merriman gets suspended for a few games, then comes back and gets to the Pro Bowl and everything is just fine. What the hell? I’m definitely not a Barry Bonds guy (I think he is a douche bag), but it is a little bit unfair. The only difference I can see is the degree of the results. Bonds is about to break the career HR record and Merriman is just an ass hole that got to play in the shitty Pro Bowl in Hawaii (no one actually watches it anyway). Baseball is turning into a joke to some people, but I’m starting to try to consider steroids as just part of the game. Kind of like a bad referee in a college basketball game or something. I’m sure that these guys will always find ways to pass the drug tests. If you want to shorten your life and ruin your body to make a few extra bucks, be my guest.

To sum things up, I will reiterate my point that the NFL is the sport least affected by this terrible PR. To put that in perspective, we’re putting criminals in the NFL above steroid users and cheaters in both the MLB and NBA, respectively. Maybe my perception on this is all wrong, but that is how I am seeing it. No one is really turning on the NFL like they do with the other two. That is pretty much all I’ve got. Give me my bashing in the comment section-- I will take it like a man.

16 Comments:

James Beard said...

Watching the same crap your talking about is why I'm so excited about the AAFL. This is going to be like the old days when they played because they loved the game. Having nothing but college graduates on the field will certainly make a huge difference in there behavior on the field and especially, off the field. Imagine, a multi-millioniar choosing to go out for the evening to a place where he feels a gun is necessary. Where's the logic? It all makes me sick and the only bright star that I can see in the world of sports is the All American Football League. Welcome aboard!

Buzzsaw said...

James Beard, I don't like you spamming our blog with your shitty football league. It's not appreciated. If you want to post, try and be more like Matt Jenks, he's the man.

Btw, if you think you saw a new post earlier today, you didn't you're crazy.

Matt Jenks said...

Holy crap! Love from one of my new favorite blogs (and not just because I've been mentioned in the comments).

You forgot one thing on your rundown about steroids and baseball: if you want to bulk up, shorten your life and shrink your genitalia all for a few extra bucks, be my guest.

Maybe that's why Barry's such a douchebag: his outie is turning into an innie.

Daris said...

guy, I agree completely. I really think its because NFL players wear helmets. I don't see any other reason these guys seem to get the benefit of the doubt. They just aren't as recognizable.I mean, one would have to be an absolute idiot to assume that steriods aren't just as big a problem in the NFL.

I'm not a big conspiracy theory guy because I think most theorists are off the deep end. However,
I know a fair share of people have suggested the NFL is rigged and with some of the instant replay calls the last few years I can't raelly blame them.

I just hope people don't go nuts with this NBA stuff. The old saying "one bad apple doesn't spoil the tree" (or something like that) is applicable here. The NBA might be a joke, but I've never seen anything on a league wide level that would suggest a more serious problem. I'd venture to guess that some umpires/refs across all professional leagues have occasionally attempted to "fix a game". Basketball is unqiue in that they have more control over the outcome of a game (other than an ump behind homeplate). Foul calls are very subtle and "bad reffing" is much more noticeable.

I feel really stupid today, so I hope that made sense. If not, I'm sorry.

Daris said...

guy, I agree completely. I really think its because NFL players wear helmets. I don't see any other reason these guys seem to get the benefit of the doubt. They just aren't as recognizable.I mean, one would have to be an absolute idiot to assume that steriods aren't just as big a problem in the NFL.

I'm not a big conspiracy theory guy because I think most theorists are off the deep end. However,
I know a fair share of people have suggested the NFL is rigged and with some of the instant replay calls the last few years I can't raelly blame them.

I just hope people don't go nuts with this NBA stuff. The old saying "one bad apple doesn't spoil the tree" (or something like that) is applicable here. The NBA might be a joke, but I've never seen anything on a league wide level that would suggest a more serious problem. I'd venture to guess that some umpires/refs across all professional leagues have occasionally attempted to "fix a game". Basketball is unqiue in that they have more control over the outcome of a game (other than an ump behind homeplate). Foul calls are very subtle and "bad reffing" is much more noticeable.

I feel really stupid today, so I hope that made sense. If not, I'm sorry.

Guy said...

They're going to go nuts about it and it is a shame. But as the saying goes, "perception is more important than reality."

Hopefully, Stern can turn this thing around. I know people get annoyed with Simmons sometimes, but his new article is really good regarding this whole mess. I suggest you check it out if you haven't already.

Buzzsaw said...

Simmons new article is actually the reason I don't like him anymore, that mention of Cuban's blog post about him was a little bit unnecessary. The first thousand words about his movie was really annoying and also sounded horrible .. Turtle as the muscle for the mob? Ridiculous

Guy said...

i interpreted that cuban thing as the game being the reason for his blog, not simmons comments/article.

the movie part was weird, but everything after that was the good part.

Guy said...

After Dwyane Wade and Miami received some Vince McMahon-level assistance in Games 3 and 4 of the 2006 Finals, I wrote an angry column about the "officiating crisis" (my words) that prompted Mavs owner Mark Cuban (tired of being fined) to post the link on his blog along with the sentence, "I never have to say a word again."

It does sound weird, but I'm pretty sure he means the game got him to write it, not his column.

Guy said...

I just re-read it again and now I get it. I don't see whats wrong with it though anyway. Cuban did actually link him its not like he is just giving himself undeserved credit.

Tim Donaghy said...

Guy you are over reacting to the "NBA scandal."

Anonymous said...

fix registry cleaner free , just wanted to say that Free Registry Cleaner site is realy great and I'm Glad that i found it
I've gotten exposed to quite a lot of pc software here and just wanted to give my 4 cents. I'm about to write a good article for this forum about
fix registry cleaner free , [url=http://www.registry1000.com/2010/05/09/what%e2%80%99s-the-best-way-to-fix-my-registry-cleaner/]fix registry cleaner free[/url] and I'll publish it as soon as i complete it.
ahtvniwxnjnjnjnnjaw
fix registry cleaner free
Thank you

Anonymous said...

Cool website, I hadn't come across logan-logsblog.blogspot.com previously in my searches!
Carry on the excellent work!

Anonymous said...

Wow neat! This is a really great site! I am wondering if anyone else has come across something
exactly the same in the past? Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

I have always had trouble in setting up a verified phone number with my Craigslist account. I have finally found a service that solves this problem.
They sell [url=http://www.craigslistpva.com/]Craigslist Phone Verified Accounts[/url] at the cheapest prices I have ever seen. My experience with them has been exceptional and I highly recommend their service!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at logan-logsblog.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Cheers,
Peter