Sunday, July 8, 2007

Lazy Attempt at an Article


We can't make fun of people for being stupid anymore :-(

Here are the comments I wrote under this article (good site), but I got kind of worked up because I like making fun of people who do stupid shit. My life isn't worth living if I can't judge people.

Starts now:
Like the article, it’s the first serious thing I’ve thought about, let alone written about in quite some time, so congrats. I will send you a cookie in the mail if you are interested!?

I did, however, have a couple of problems with your conclusions, probably because I want to keep judging people without a guilty conscience.

I make the "you can't judge people until you've walked a mile in their shoes" argument more than anyone else I know, but it seems to work a little better when moving down the socio-economic ladder as compared to up.

1. Don’t act like temptations change as you get more money. Drugs, drinking, and sex are fun no matter how much money you have, and they are everywhere. A party at a corner bar in Des Moines, Iowa and one on the strip in Vegas are surprisingly similar if you think about it; other than the brand of vodka and drug of choice.
2. I don’t judge people who fall victim to temptation, but it baffles me that people keep making mistake after mistake with so much to lose. I mean why not” bring the party to you” if your going out might mean flushing everything you’ve done up to that point down the drain.

3. Many people, with a lot less to lose, protect what little they have to the best of their abilities. More relevant to this maybe, a large majority of professional athletes have all of that “fun” you mention and do it in a way as to ensure their future financial/professional well-being. So, maybe you’re right, I personally can’t judge those people because I’ve never been in their position, but hundreds of thousands of millionaires over the last 30 years (maybe more)can. They did walk a mile in their shoes and protected what they had.

4. You suggest that professional athletes face more temptations than everyday people, and I think that’s a little off base. . My entourage (5 kids who all graduated from the same private school five years ago) went to a Vegas Strip club not too long ago with my buddy’s dad who makes a really, really nice living for himself. They didn’t pull any guns. No lines of coke were blown even though it was all around. No cops were called, and no depositions were given!

In layman’s terms, no rain was being made. So, yeah if I want to judge an idiot like PacMan Jones, I’m going to do it and be able to look myself in the mirror the next day without crying more than I usually do.

1 Comment:

Scooter said...

I agree that many times, athlete missteps have more to do with the socio-economic background than they do with current life/money situation.

I guess the main point of the post was the overwhelming judgement passed upon these young men (mostly by the media) is many times without scope and personal reflection from the criticizer.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it.