Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Bob Costas Has a Little Hop in His Step (Get it? Little)


During the Fox pregame show on Sunday, Frank Caliendo’s skit was aired, as it is every week. Here’s what went down:

In the bit, Caliendo-as-Madden wondered who could have been the jockey on Chad Johnson, the Bengals receiver, when he beat a horse in a charity race in June.

“Hey, where’s that little guy who plays Costas?” Caliendo asked, which brought the real, nearly 5-foot-7 Costas on-screen.

Costas mocked Caliendo’s height (a shade below Costas’s), offered a list of renowned people shorter than he, and told Caliendo: “I work with John Madden. Frank, you don’t measure up.”

Clever. But the catch? Costas works for NBC, not Fox. What a little snake. And to cap things off, he doesn’t really give a shit:

Costas, by phone Sunday, said it was kept "a secret" from both Fox and NBC — "I don't know if I had to (get NBC's permission), but I didn't."

NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol said that he thought the bit was humorous. I would say that too, Ebersol. With this Keith Hernandez/Napoleon complex, Lord knows what Costas would have said about Ebersol after his “As anyone can plainly see, I'm 5-6 1/2 and a strapping 150, and unlike some people, I came by all of it naturally” Barry Bonds burn.

[New York Times]
[USA Today]

2 Comments:

Buzzsaw said...

I'm not sure Frank Caliendo deserves a tag, haha. If we write another story about him I'll give that person $3.

Daris said...

costas has always been a little snake. i was staying at his lake house in florida (let me pick up that name) cause a friend knew his son, he was just what you would expect.

I don't mind bobby c at all, but he's a little pompous.