Friday, July 20, 2007

"Is It Sergio's Time"?

Guy asked me today if I was ready for the “Is It Sergio’s Time” articles that are all but certain if Garcia finds himself close to the top of the leader board heading into this weekend at Carnoustie. Well, no I’m not ready for them. I curse the day Phil ever won his first major. He’ll always be my standard for the “Is it (Insert Persons Name) Time” articles and reports. Nothing gave me greater pleasure then watching Phil’s 4 foot lip-outs on Sunday afternoons of majors. They were almost too predictable and still bring a smile to my face. Moving past my digression, Sergio has become the new “Best Golfer to Never Win a Major”. Garcia is only 27 years old, so maybe that label isn’t fair quite yet, but he is very talented and has had plenty of opportunities to pick up a major. Just Look!

Results in major championships:

Tournament

1996

1997

1998

1999

The Masters

DNP

DNP

DNP

T38 LA

U.S. Open

DNP

DNP

DNP

DNP

The Open Championship

CUT

DNP

T29

CUT

PGA Championship

DNP

DNP

DNP

2

Tournament

2000

2001

2002

2003

2004

2005

2006

2007

The Masters

T40

CUT

8

T28

T4

CUT

46

CUT

U.S. Open

T46

T12

4

T35

T20

T3

CUT

CUT

The Open Championship

T36

T9

T8

T10

CUT

T5

T5


PGA Championship

T34

CUT

T10

CUT

CUT

T23

T3


His 7 top five finishes are very impressive, but he hasn’t quite sealed the deal. So, is it time for Sergio to finally breakthrough and win a major?

Well, you would think he has a good chance.Sergio shot a -6under 65(remember this #) to take the outright lead heading into Friday’s second round at The Open Championship. So seemingly, he is in a good position to make a run. He tallied 7 birdies on Thursday and credits his success to his new found putting stroke. He is using a belly-putter that supposedly gives him more control over his ball on the greens. I suspect he somehow picked up that putter Rodney Dangerfield used in Caddyshack, but that’s neither here nor there. He’s putting well, and if he’s doing that he can win The Open. Hey, I’m beginning to think he’s going to win this thing the more I type.

Could it be? Is it time for Sergio? Wait, I hate those questions.

I have a better one. Can I put all of those “Is It Sergio's Time” articles to rest before they even get started?

Well, in fact I can! I just read something that all but guarantees Sergio will be an afterthought or John Van De Velding the 18th hole on Sunday. You see, the lowest opening round score for a golfer who went on to win the British Open is 66.. EVER!

The Four Golfers

Peter Thomson Royal Lytham, 1958

Nick Faldo, Muirfield, 1992;

Greg Norman, Royal St George’s, 1993

Tiger Woods, St Andrews, 2005

So, I guess I’m saying unless Sergio is somehow able to overcome a usually shaky putter, the pressure of being ‘that guy”, a Sunday re-grip fest, and 135 years of British Open History, he’ll have to wait until the PGA Championship. Sorry Sergio, but you always have your bright pants!

Best Open Round by a Champion
Results Grid

5 Comments:

Guy said...

I'll comment in the morning. I'm going to need some time to sleep on that picture.

Guy said...

That sounded kind of gay and I refuse to delete the comment.

I mean, I'm going to need to "sleep on" the fact that that picture is in circulation. It's ridiculous.

Daris said...

hahahaha

Guy said...

My dad and I were talking at lunch. We decided that Sergio's only shot is to choke early and often on Saturday, landing him a spot in the 3rd or 4th to last group come Sunday. With not as much pressure on him, he could surge (ha) back into it.

I hope he does it though. It would be great to see him finally mature and develop a rivalry with Tiger (doubtful). The only reason I really disliked Tiger in the past was because he used to make it not fun-- he sometimes just blows everyone out of the water. Sure, its great to see some great golf, but I'm a sucker for exciting finishes.

PGA Championship said...

Maybe the PGA Championship! Ha ha!!!
What a tournament! The Finish was great watching on TV!