Wednesday, August 15, 2007

1982: Boxing's Year

I just realized I was watching fights that were 25 years old, which I had no problem with until I realized I was born in December of 83’. Now I feel old, and Jesus, that scares the shit out of me, but anyway I wanted to write about what many people call “The Greatest Year” in boxing history. I was reading a write-up on Boxing Scene about the recent resurgence of the Junior Bantamweight (122lbs) division, and stumbled upon the seemingly meaningless year of 1982. I call it meaningless because I wasn’t roaming the streets yet, and I think we can all agree that my presence has made things a little (to a lot) better.

Modesty aside, I want to briefly mention how exciting the Junior Bantamweight Division has become recently with the brutal and entertaining Vasquez vs. Marquez II, and Daniel Ponce De Leon’s impressive victory over Rey Bautista this past weekend. Boxing fans haven’t been this excited about the division since Morales and Barrera were kicking the shit out of each other. I’ll say it one more time, Vasquez vs. Marquez II was one of the top three fights of 2007, and if it had went a little longer, no other fight from this year would be considered ( and yes, that includes Cotto vs. Judah.) These guys went at it, and the theatrics, aided by Vasquez’s blood-covered face and both fighters’ relentless, hard punching, were really something to see. I need to stop talking about the fight before I have a naughty boxing dream. I’m so honest I would have to admit it to my legion of readers.

Now, as I continued reading the article I stumbled across a 1982 Junior Bantamweight fight that ranked 3rd on “The Best Fights of 1982”. The fight was between Wilfredo Gomez and Lupe Pintor. Gomez was the king of the super bantam’s for over 5 years with 17 successful title defenses. His fight with Pintor would have been tops in almost any other year At least watch the lst 20 seconds of the video, one of Gomez's handlers runs across the ring and carries him back to the corner. My grandma always said actions speak louder than words, so take a look at the fight.

The #2 fight of 1982 took place when Aaron Pryor and Alexis Arguello faced off in a 15 round title fight that was filled with hard-hitting and a fair share of controversy. Pryor’s trainer, some guy named Panama, definitely wanted Pryor to drink out a specific water bottle and made sure it happened. I have to think Pryor was aided by some outside help as he consistently ran out for the bell for every round, whereas most fighters would have been crawling out of the corner after the abuse he was taking. These three videos document the entire fight, and are well worth the watch. (Link to entire fight)



The #1 fight doesn’t need to much talking up. Bobby Chacon and Bazooka Limon’s war was unbelievable and the 80’s club music playing in the youtube clip definitely add to the intensity. (No, I’m not being sarcastic.) When Chacon finally scored the 15th round knockdown, I almost pooped by boxing pants. Limon had one of the best chins in the history of boxing, and it seemed like it would take a miracle to get him down.I haven’t found the entire fight yet, but when I do, I’ll be sure to post it. Limon actually got up from the knockdown as Chacon ultimately won a close, but unanimous decision. It was the 4th time the two fighters had squared off. Please watch this as it is well worth the 6 minutes.


Wow, 1982 did produce a few great fights. The three mentioned all took place over the course of a month, and none of them were on pay-per-view. Oh, the good old days. I hope you all enjoyed that. I’m sorry about the 50 videos embedded in this post, but “actions are louder than words”, especially when the actions are those being carried out by the fighters, and the words are coming from some skinny kid who would probably get his ass kicked by either Williams sister.

Boxing Scene

2 Comments:

The Ex said...

March of 84 right here. OLD OLD OLD.

Buzzsaw said...

Wow, great stuff Daris ... I think the best part was the cartoon boxing, if they did cartoon reenactments of every fight, boxing would be soo much better.