Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Driven

Budhia Singh is known worldwide for his extraordinary talent of being able to run ungodly amounts of miles. At the age of 4, lil Singh was thrust into the public eye after he ran 40 miles. His relatives immediately saw dollar bill signs and lil Singh was cast in numerous commercials throughout India. Quickly, a trainer was hired and lil Singh moved in with a coach by the name of Biranchi Das. Unfortunately, there isn’t a happy ending to this story. Biranchi Das was arrested earlier today after being accused of torturing the young boy.

Here is what I don’t understand. They just arrested someone for torture after 2 years of making lil Singh run hundreds of miles? What is going on over in India? On one occasion, Lil Singh attempted to run 43 miles, but doctors had to stop him after his 40th mile when he started showing symptoms of extreme exhaustion. Like people needed doctors to tell them that this kid was tired.

Doctor 1: "Ya, he's ran about 40 miles. I bet he's tired."
Doctor 2: "Hmm probably, this is seriously sooo cool, but maybe we should have him stop for now. "
Docter 3: "I was thinking that along time ago, but damn, it sure is funny to watch this little guy struggle."

“He (the boy’s coach) even once tied Budhia up from a ceiling fan and threw hot water on his body” ~Sukanti Singh the boy's mother

Admittedly, we should all criticize lil Singh’s coach for his torture tactics, but let’s give the guy a little respect for attempting to instill the values of hard work and commitment into lil Singh. He was just trying to get the most out of his athlete. I know hitting and starvation aren’t the disciplinary tactics used today by most coaches. However, if they were, we wouldn’t have people like Pacman Jones diluting the NFL’s image and uprightness. Athletes would have more respect and discipline if coaches were allowed to slap them around a little. I also know a few athletes, namely Phil Mickelson and Corey Simon, who could use a “timeout” from the buffet.

I can almost guarantee you this; if Earl Woods didn’t throw Tiger over the fence of their local country club time after time, we wouldn’t have the pleasure of watching Tiger chase Nicklaus’s record major number of 18. I’m sure Tiger said, “daddy no” once in a while. Lance Armstrong provdes another example. He was internally driven, but maybe more importantly, didn’t want to be remembered as a white trash bastard child from Plano, Texas. He was driven by the undeniable fact that he couldn’t catch a football to save his life in high school and that his “daddy didn’t care”.

My point is that people are driven by different things in life. Maybe lil Singh character got mouthy with his coach and asked for two servings of Chicken Tikka Masala instead of just one. I don’t know. Everything in life is up for debate.

Contributed by Sockless

4 Comments:

Buzzsaw said...

My mom wakes me every morning at the crack of dawn, sits me in my computer chair, covers the rest of the room in mousetraps, and yells at me to "FUCKING BLOG!!!" ... I wouldn't be here today without her help.

Daris said...

lol

sockless dilemma said...

Buzzsaw You're a lucky man to be able to have the luxury of blogging in your own room. I'm writing these articles usually one sentence at a time while at my day job. I get paranoid that the wrong person might be looking over my shoulder. I guess I'm driven by the fact that I hate sitting behind a fucking desk all day and find this blogger to be a "great escape".

Daris said...

haha sockless, i apologize about being late on the post. dont worry, i smell contributor status if you keep up the good work.

hopefully you get some recognition for this artcle as I think its an instant clssic.

I'll give you a call shortly, hopefully you are whipping up something else.